Effective transport networks are a key to economic growth and opportunity for all. This includes links within the North East and connectivity with the rest of the UK, Europe and the World.
The order passed by Parliament which established the Combined Authority also dissolved the Tyne and Wear Integrated Transport Authority. As a result, the role of the Integrated Transport Authority along with its property, rights and liabilities transferred to the Combined Authority. For the first time there is single body with responsibility for strategic transport across all seven local authority areas.
Working with partners we will:
- Provide leadership and an united voice on key strategic transport issues.
- Link strategic transport planning with economic priorities.
- Provide strong representation on transport issues of national significance including rail, strategic road network and our ports.
- Provide more effective co-ordination enable improvement to the area’s public transport network.
- Offer the best framework to maximise and manage devolution of transport funding.
The Transport lead for the Combined Authority is Cllr Nick Forbes, Leader of Newcastle City Council.